Friday, June 17, 2011

A new experience.

Yesterday I experienced something new that I can now lay claim to.  I was locked out of my house!!

My adventure started with a sudden craving for ice cream at about 2pm.  A quick dash to the supermarket around the corner produced said ice cream.  Just for good measure I bought two, one for me and one for the freezer to be enjoyed at a later time the weekend. 

Of course since I was only going to be 10 minutes, I grabbed just my shoes and wallet, leaving my cell phone lying on my bed.

Upon returning to the house, I slipped the key in the lock, turned it and then tried to open the door.  Nothing, niks, nada!!  So I repeat the process again and strangely enough get the same result.  The saying about idiots doing things twice and expecting a different result comes to mind here.

Pull the key out and visually inspect it.  Mmm, one of the key latch points are broken.

   
The result was a quick trip to my work offices (to use the phone and google the locksmith), an hours wait for the locksmith to phone me back and handing over R400 to gain access to my house again.  The locksmith not only picked the lock, he opened it up and showed me at least 5 pieces of different broken keys (of which mine was one) that he removed from the lock.  Taking into account that I have only been in this house for 6 months now, I ask myself how the previous tenants gained access to the house.  It looks like they just bought new keys and left the pieces in the lock.

I also received a lecture from a 20something locksmith about how unsafe my front door lock is.  Guess it's time for a new lock.  Any handymen out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment